How do you know it’s the right time to hire someone?
Knowing the right time to hire in order to meet your business needs is not easy, but it is critical to the success of your business. How do you know if now is the right time to take on new staff, and how can you be sure you are attracting and recruiting the right people for the role? Running or managing a small business often requires the wearing of many hats and understanding every aspect of your operation. Even if you already have staff, then you still need to delegate responsibilities whilst remaining on top of everything. How do you know if you need help?
Here are some tell-tale signs:
- You don’t have enough time to do everything.If your business has grown to the point where your working hours are increasing just to complete the bare minimum of work, then it is time to review what work you could effectively delegate.
- You are focusing on surviving rather than growing your business. It is very easy to get caught up in the day-to-day tasks that are necessary for the logistics and operation of your business. But do they come at the expense of developing the growth activities that will move your business onto the next level?
- Your own work is suffering. You would not be where you are without being good at what you do. But you can’t be good at everything. If you have lots of tasks all competing for your attention, then none of the work is likely to be done to the standard of expertise. Focus on what you do best and recruit or outsource work that can be done by others.
- You can’t let go. This comes down to having the confidence to hire the right person for the role. It is hard to let go and trust the work would be done to match your expectations. But by overcoming your mindset it will allow you precious time back into your day.
- Can you afford to/can you afford not to? You need to know if you have the budget to hire or outsource work to someone. You need to decide whether you should invest in your business and encourage growth and expansion, or not do so and risk your business not progressing.
If you have identified that you need some assistance, then first off, I would recommend you have a thorough review of the systems and processes you use, to ensure you are working as efficiently as possible. Perhaps there are ways to reallocate work. Take the time now to step back and assess how expanding your team may improve the overall quality of your product and service.
- Really consider where someone will add value to your business, and if hiring someone or outsourcing the work is the best fit for you.
- Be specific about what you need and want. Clearly define the job role and understand what type of person will be successful at this job. If you don’t know this, then you cannot fill the role with the right person who will be a good fit for your business and team. And you will waste money and time.
- Don’t hire people just like you, look to have a diverse workplace. Different perspectives and viewpoints will hep you identify weak points in your business and encourage your business to be more adaptable in its approach.
- Consider personalities. You want people who will fit the ethos of your business but remember that they need to complement it as well. Remember that skills can be learned, but personalities are harder to change.
Can I help you with your business?
Are you overstretched running your business? I can provide you with the strategic support you need and to review the processes you use, help you to identify where efficiencies can be made, and advise on where support is most needed.
We also help you hire, so you have that second opinion.
Get in touch with me today to find out more.
Find out more about me…
I love to work with entrepreneurs, small business owners, and family teams, who have developed their passion and realised they have the talent to create a successful business.